Obe and Cornelius

Obe and Cornelius
Obe and Cornelius

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rough Week but I am GOING to PURR!!

Hi,

Had a bit of a roller coaster week at work, some highs but more lows. I know that not every day is sunshine and lollipops, but I was really feeling depressed! Have missed blogging but I don't want a bitch session every time I do it. I know that I should be happy to have a job!

Here's my purr story for today:

The most amazing job I had was as a Buyer for Nordstrom; I bought Crystal, Gourmet Food and Gifts. I was fortunate to get to go on those buying trips you hear about, all through Europe, poking through the stalls in London, selecting ceramics in Italy, going to Germany for Christmas ornaments, etc.

During one trip the crystal company Orrefors/Kosta Boda hosted us to tour their factories and put us up at the Kosta Boda guesthouse (on a subsequent trip I stayed at the Orrefors guesthouse). The Kosta Boda guesthouse is an adorable red house, rustic, but very nice. Their were amazing crystal pieces all throughout the house, none that would fit into my luggage though! However, on our pillows we were each given a small piece.

We toured the three factories that comprise Kosta Boda and the Orrefors factory. We were able to go onto the glass blowing floor in Orrefors and watch the designers and the blowers create a piece. We also got to try our hands, well our mouths, at blowing a piece of crystal, not an easy thing to do. When you blow into the pipe, your breath is super heated and expands quickly. If you blow too hard, you blow a bubble that is paper thin and shatters. Small, delicate breaths are what creates the crystal. Next time you see a piece on mouth blown crystal, know that it's a living thing as it contains the breath of a man, or woman who created it. Crystal is a true celebration of life!

One night Kosta Boda hosted a dinner with all of their designers in attendance. What an amazing night! I was seated next to one of my favorite designers Ulrica Hydman-Vallien. What a treat to be able to talk to her and find out what drove her designs. Now if you are ever in a Scandinavian country and drink a toast, you say Skoal, never lifting the glass higher than your eyes and look straight at someone and drink. We had MANY Skoal moments that night!

So today I drink to you: "Skoal"!

2 comments:

  1. When I first met you and Erik, I was in a terrible marriage, had little or no self esteem and was in a deep depression. Without the support of my friends, I would NEVER have had the strength to leave my marriage and become a strong person for my daughter. I remember Erik helping me to re-tune my radar. I also have such a wonderful memory of you and my daughter sitting in the front seats of the new bug singing at the top of your lungs to the radio, while at Dwayne's summer party. Cassie was about 3 years old and loved VW Beetles. She thought that the two of you were "rock stars" because you had the bug. I never would have made it to where I am now without the love and support of some of the best friends anyone could have wished for.
    Thank you for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my friend Hilary:

    The "Bug" reminds me of a story of your kindness to me. Several years ago when my Mom was showing signs of severe health problems I had to repeatedly fly from Colorado to her home in upstate NY. You suggested I get a cheaper fare to NY and then gave me one of your cars to drive 3.5 hours north. I was so worried about the cost and time off on top of my concern for my Mom. You and Erik were so generous and helped me through that tough time, again and again.

    ReplyDelete